Welcome to Sinikka Salo’s Website
Dr. Sinikka Salo, economist and central banker, retired from the Board of the Bank of Finland
Why this blog?
I belong to the generation that was born after the war and have been able to enjoy peace and prosperity in Europe all my life. When the Berlin wall was broken and also my country could fully participate in the European integration project I was released and happy. In the globalizing world the progress of the European integration is strongly needed. EU is far from being ready. Only together we can foster our free and liberal values – democracy, rule of law, human rights, freedom of speech – and preserve them to our grandchildren. Therefore now, during prevailing economic and political uncertainty, we all who are thinking European-wide, should raise our voices against emerging ultra-nationalism and populism in our countries. I believe strongly in democracy and civil society. The European Union needs support of its citizens.
When my husband and I retired we decided to spend the remaining years of our life wandering around in Europe with open eyes. We have now even become part-time Berliners. Our aim is to better understand the rich diversity of European cultures but also focus on those issues that unite us. In these blog-writings I try to report my perceptions about life and Europe and European life from the perspective of a European Finn. In this way I hope that I can on my little part increase understanding among us Europeans – so necessary to the progress of Europe.
Dr. Sinikka Salo (born 1948 in Kauhajoki, Finland), economist, central banker, retired from the Board of the Bank of Finland since 2010
Studies of economics, statistics and mathematics at the University of Helsinki:
- PhD, Doctor in Political sciences (economics) 1990
- Licentiate in Political sciences (economics) 1985
- Master of Political sciences (statistics) 1974
- Bachelor of Science (mathematics) 1970
Languages: Finnish (native), Swedish, English, German and French.
- Bank of Finland, Member of the Board, 2000-2010 (also Member of the European Union Economic and Financial Committee 2000-2005, Member of the International Relations Committee of the European System of Central Banks 2000-2010)
- European Central Bank and European Monetary Institute, Frankfurt, 1995-2000
- Bank of Finland 1990-1995
- University of Helsinki 1993-1994
- ETLA (Research Institute of the Finnish Economy) 1974-1990
- City of Helsinki, Metro Office 1971-1974
- Finnish Road and Waterway Administration, 1969-1971
Positions of trust:
- Member of the Helsinki University Senate 2007-2010
- Delegation of the Alumni Association Helsinki University, Member 2001-2007, Vice-chairman 2005-2006
- The National Library of Finland, Member of the board, 2010-2014, Patron of the Library 2012-
- The Sibelius Academy Foundation, Member of the Board 2005-2010
- Delegation of the Sibelius Academy, Chairman 2010-2013
- Anders Chydenius Foundation, Member of the board 2005-2013
- Aue-Foundation, Member of the Delegation 2001-2005, Member of the board 2005-, President 2010-
- Delegation for the 200th Anniversary of J.V. Snellman 2003-2006
- Delegation for the League of Finnish-German Associations, Chairman 2004-2007
- Boardman-LJT, Management Study Group, Member of the board 2008-2014, Chairman 2012-2014
- Delegation for Crusell Music Festival, Member 2001-
- Selector of the winner of the Tieto-Finlandia Award (non-fiction literature) 2010
- EKSO Cultural Association Europe, Member of the board 2006-2010, President 2006-2010, Member of the EKSO delegation 2012-2017
- Ida Aalberg Foundation, Member of the board 2011-2017
- Foundation of the Finnish National Theatre, Member of the board 2005-, Vice chairman 2015-
Fingerroos-Foundation, Member of the board, 2015-
- Finnish Economic Association, Secretary 1980-1982, Member of the board and Chairman 1994-1995
- Co-editor of the Finnish Economic Journal (in Finnish) and the Finnish Economic Papers 1988-1990
- Unioni, Women’s League in Finland, Member of the board 1975-1976, 1978
- International Alliance of Women (IAW), Member of the board 1976-1979
- Female economists´ network in Finland, Founding member 1980; Member of Zonta International.
- Latest articles (since 2000) are listed in www.sinikkasalo.fi/henkilokuva
- Autobiographical book “Tahdon tähden”, Otava 2004
- Decoration of Commander of the White Rose of Finland, 2004
- Badge of honour in the broad blue ribbon from the Student Union of the University of Helsinki 2012
Sinikka Salo is married with Tuomo Salo since 1971. They have two sons and four grandchildren.